DEMETER (Detection of Electro-Magnetic Emissions Transmitted from Earthquake
Region) is tthe first project in the CNES micro-satellite series.
The scientific purpose of the mission is to :
- Study the ionospheric disturbances related to seismic activity,
- Study the ionospheric disturbances related to human activity,
- Study the pre-and post-seism¨ic effects in the ionosphere,
- Contribute to understand the mechaniosms generating those disturbances,
- Give global information on the Earth's electromagnetic environnmentat
the satellite altitude
The project has been extended to volcanic activity and tsunamis.